So here we have a student going to the grocery store near where her dorm is. A man who works there has Down syndrome. He is bagging groceries. They are familiar with one another as the student goes there frequently. But on this occasion something truly disgusting happens. While she is in line, the following ends up happening:
“(I am at my regular grocery store at the checkout. The bagger is a sweet man with a mental disability, who is carefully bagging my items.)
Bagger: “You want this one?”
(He holds up one of my canvas bags, which I see has a hole in it.)
Me: “No, use another. Thanks.”
Woman behind me: “God! Hurry it up!”
Me: “I just finished paying. He’s fine.”
Woman behind me: “Oh, so you’re slow like him too? God all you special people need to stop interfering with normal people.”
Bagger: *looks offended* “Ma’am, she’s not not-smart. She goes to [University].” *points to my university logo on my sweatpants* “She’s real smart.”
Me: “And he’s the best bagger here! He’s very careful, ma’am, which is a good thing with groceries.”
(My bags are done. Since he knows I walk back to my dorm, the bagger just hands them to me and helps me shoulder them.)
So here we have a student going to the grocery store near where her dorm is. A man who works there has Down syndrome. He is bagging groceries. They are familiar with one another as the student goes there frequently. But on this occasion something truly disgusting happens. While she is in line, the following ends up happening:
“(I am at my regular grocery store at the checkout. The bagger is a sweet man with a mental disability, who is carefully bagging my items.)
Bagger: “You want this one?”
(He holds up one of my canvas bags, which I see has a hole in it.)
Me: “No, use another. Thanks.”
Woman behind me: “God! Hurry it up!”
Me: “I just finished paying. He’s fine.”
Woman behind me: “Oh, so you’re slow like him too? God all you special people need to stop interfering with normal people.”
Bagger: *looks offended* “Ma’am, she’s not not-smart. She goes to [University].” *points to my university logo on my sweatpants* “She’s real smart.”
Me: “And he’s the best bagger here! He’s very careful, ma’am, which is a good thing with groceries.”
(My bags are done. Since he knows I walk back to my dorm, the bagger just hands them to me and helps me shoulder them.)
Unbelievable that there are people out there who say things like this. But truly amazing that the cashier indeed does step up and refuses service to the horrible woman. Share this story to applaud the cashiers efforts at making a statement that such behavior is not allowed.
Source : dirtpost.com